History Of Healthcare In Elizabeth, NJ

Seeing a need for a healthcare facility in the Greater Elizabeth area, four local physicians pooled their time talent and resources to establish a two-room surgical clinic in 1877. That humanitarian effort flourished, leading to the founding of Elizabeth General Hospital & Dispensary two years later on May 9, 1879. Later renamed Elizabeth General Medical Center, its provision of healthcare to the community expanded greatly over the following 120 years.

In 1892, another hospital was established in Elizabeth by the Alexian Brothers and provided a number of vital services including a comprehensive renal service and the Brother Bonaventure Extended Care Center. The Alexian Brothers Hospital served the community well until 1991 when it was acquired by the Elizabeth General Medical Center following the decision by the Brothers to discontinue healthcare services in Elizabeth.

In August of 1904, the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth, by approval of Bishop John J. O’Conner of Newark, took on the responsibility of planning and organizing a new hospital in the City of Elizabeth. They purchased the property and home at 204 South Broad Street that had once been the residence of Dr. Moore. This brownstone structure, on the corner of Pearl Street, was renovated to care for 25 patients and opened as St. Elizabeth Hospital on May 30, 1905.

Friendly rivals, the three hospitals spurred each other to greater achievements while sharing a common mission: to provide the most advanced healthcare with an extra measure of compassionate concern for every patient. Hundreds of thousands of local residents were touched and healed by the skilled hands and tender hearts at work in these three outstanding institutions.

As the 20th century neared its end, an exciting vision began to emerge of a dynamic new organization that could adapt to changing realities and expand its ability to serve the community.

In January, 2000, after agreeing on a vision for the future of healthcare in the region, Elizabeth General Medical Center and St. Elizabeth Hospital set aside over a century of history and tradition and came together as equal partners to form Trinitas Health and Trinitas Regional Medical Center. In what is recognized as one of the most courageous acts in healthcare in the State of New Jersey, this consolidation has been hailed as a model for the effective unification of a broad spectrum of healthcare services for the benefit of the community and a monument to forward thinking and bold leadership.

Trinitas is the result of a shared vision by the Sisters of Charity of St. Elizabeth, sponsors of St. Elizabeth Hospital, and the Elizabethtown Healthcare Foundation, parent of Elizabeth General Medical Center. Today these two entities continue to play an important role in the governance of Trinitas Regional Medical Center.

Past To the Present

This Elizabeth General ambulance had a lot of horsepower.

St. Elizabeth provided care to thousands for more than a century.

Alexian Brothers Hospital originally provided care to men and later became a co-ed healthcare institution.

Today, Trinitas Regional Medical Center provides professional care delivered with compassion.